Umbrellas, Squat Toilets, and Other fun things

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Taiwanland

For better or for worse, I have arrived in Taiwan.  And this shall be my field blog.  I don't know if any of you got that, but I'm an Anthropology student.  Hopefully, I needn't elaborate any further.  Besides, you all know I have a particular sense of humor.  

Let me first off apologize to those who I had not contacted before I left the States.  I got home from Middlebury with about two days to pack and take care of business before I had to be on that plane again and once again head westwards.  Anyways, from here on out, there isn't any language pledge to prevent me from communicating with you, so feel free to contact me.  I'm mostly planning on using Skype and MSN.  And for those of you who know me well, I'm always on MSN.  Well, usually.  But nonetheless it's a convenient means for contacting me.

Anyways, I'm sure you're not too interested in what I might have done in my last days, but for those who are curious, I did cram in as much pie and cheesecake as possible.

As I left, I have to admit I was extremely nervous.  Extremely nervous.  I'd never before been in Asia, and I know that despite Taiwan's certain Western characteristics, things are different here.  More so than going from the US to France.  But, as I boarded the plane from San Francisco to Taipei, I found myself next to two wonderful women that were very helpful to me.  We spent a lot of time chatting about the US.  And let me tell you, did my Middlebury Chinese come in handy there.  They also told me it wasn't a good idea to stay near the airport and helped me get to a youth hostel and call a cab.  I have no idea what I would've otherwise done.  I probably would've spent time wandering around the airport like a lost sheep and too stubborn to ask for help.

When I got to the youth hostel, I had to lug three bags up three flights of stairs, and not only did I curse myself for bringing so much (although my past experience was I didn't have enough) but the landlady began to tease me for the amount I'd brought.  But, I also know that finding hair products for my hair here was not going to happen since my hair is so different.  There are just a few things that you can't really buy in Taiwan.

After I'd settled into my tiny little room, I decided that despite twenty-one hours worth of travel I still wanted to explore.  So, off I went on my own in Zhongshan.  I was the only foreigner walking around there at the time, and many people began to stare at me curiously.  Eventually I'd gotten lost in Zhongshan, but I pulled out my map and made it back.

The next morning I took a cab to Zhengda, where I'll be living for the duration of the year.  It's a beautiful campus at the base of a mountain.  Being the Grinnellian I am, I of course find this campus huge and I still get lost.  In addition, Zhengda is one of Taiwan's best universities and is known for its social sciences and business programs.  

I live in a dorm though I found out I could get an apartment next semester.  However, I find the dorms to work just fine for me.  Before arriving, I'd been told I'd experience culture shock from the dorm situation.  However, the biggest difference is the style of the bathroom and squat toilets are kind of amusing to me.  Also, they don't do co-ed dorms.  Boys and girls can only be at the other dorms during visiting hours.  Although I still don't know my roommates for this next semester, I've  been staying with three summer students.  They're all teachers from the south of Taiwan.  I'm assuming I won't meet my other roommates until the summer students have left.  So far only one of my roommates has left since she has to be back to teach this week.

The other big thing I've discovered is you want to bring toilet paper with you.  Bathrooms don't necessarily supply toilet paper for you.  

All the same, I'm rather smitten with Taiwan.  I can feel myself going through similar feelings from when I was in France.  When I'd first arrived, everything was wonderful and the thought of leaving tears my heart up.  So, I suppose the worst waves of culture shock are yet to come.  However, having spent time abroad has me more prepared for some of the psychological effects to expect this coming year.

So far, I've found everyone to be really nice to me; however, because I'm very obviously a foreigner, people seem hesitant to approach me or talk to me since they don't think I can communicate with them.  Or else, they automatically assume I speak English and try to talk to me in English.  I do, however, admit that I am struggling to switch to 国语 since I've learned so many 大路 expressions.  Despite understanding half of what I watch in a Taiwanese drama, I'm still not used to the Taiwanese accent either.

Anyways, I've met my ambassadors and program director.  They've taken me and the rest of my group to see so many wonderful sites and eat so many wonderful foods.  Since this month is ghost month, we visited a beautiful Buddhist temple and were told to observe the people around us.  There were so many people there chanting or burning incense.  And though I messed it up out of confusion, you visit different points of the temple and bow before placing an incense stick in each of the different holders.  You also must enter the temple from the right and exit from the left according to my program director.

In addition, I've gone shopping and karaoking.  I found a used cell phone for about a NT$1000.  Also, you're required to buy a mattress for the bed, but the mattress is more like a pallet.  Luckily everything has been rather cheap.  If I want Western brands and products, however, I understand the price goes up quite a bit.  As for the karaoking, I'll leave that to your imagination.  But, Asian-style karaoke is way better than American-style karaoke.  You get a little room and with your group, go in and sing whatever you please.  

Next week, I'll be visiting Taipei 101, the National Palace Museum and the nightmarkets (although I came across a small one in Zhongshan already).  I think we might also visit a tea plantation.  I understand we're right next to a famous tea plantation, and you know me, I love tea!  I'm also extremely excited to go to the National Palace Museum.  As some might know, going to the Forbidden city, you won't see more than the architecture because the Nationalists had fled with its art to Taiwan.  All of this art is now in the National Palace Museum.

Anyways, I know this was a sloppy entry.  I just wanted to write something quick for you.  I'll try to put more effort into my next update.  But, how do you cram a week's worth of new experiences into a short entry without cutting so much out?  If I'd had internet sooner, I would've given you a little more detail.

Anyways, until next time my friends.

11 Comments:

Blogger meiyilu said...

Yay, now I can follow your adventures through your blog. I'm glad that you made it to Taiwan safely and am enjoying yourself. I'm surprised you made no mention of the heat, humidity, or mosquitoes, things that stood out when I first went to Taiwan. Perhaps you missed the climax of summer. The Taipei 101 area is probably my place to wonder about and shop. Taipei 101 has the biggest bookstore in asia on the 4th floor I think, with tons of English books. Below in B1 or B2, there Jason's Marketplace if you're missing Western products, though they're pretty expensive because they're imported.

You're right, the Nat'l Palace Museum is better than the Forbidden City. You'll enjoy the museum. A whole day wouldn't be enough for a person to appreciate everything.

On culture shock. Yep, it won't arrive until in a couple of months, after the novelty of your surroundings sort of wear off. Despite having traveled so much, you still get a tinge of culture shock/homesickness. It happened somewhat to me in Grinnell last yr.

Oh my, check out the 7-11s. These were the first things I missed after I left Taiwan. They're everywhere, 24/7, and offer almost everything. You can even pay electric, water, gas, phone bills there. The food is decent too. You can trust the food to be clean since they've always won awards for that.

Are you near an MRT/subway station? If you are, it's the best way to travel around Taipei. If you do, I'll follow up with some stations that are great to go to.

When I first went to Taiwan 5-6 years ago, I was so shocked by the squat toilets. All the new department stores like Shin Kong, Taipei 101, and other stores have the sitting kind now.

Good luck for the rest of the year.

I'm looking forward to new posts, and I'll definitely be reading them and commenting.

I'm leaving Shanghai next Monday (25th) for the US. Already feeling excited and nervous to get back to Grinnell.

August 24, 2008 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger Yanwen Xu said...

Post more! I enjoy your writing-like-speaking style and Taiwan is hopefully my next touring place so looking forward to reading more of your posts!

August 24, 2008 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger HJ said...

Great to know you're enjoying your life in Taiwan.
Yeah, your Chinese is a bit 大陸
But no prob. at all!
You'll soon used to Taiwanese style.
We are very friendly la~

I'll come back to your updates.
Nd, maybe you can try to watch Hot Shot on TV. His Chinese is still amusing!

August 24, 2008 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Hey, good to know you're still Around

I'll be following with great interest

August 24, 2008 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger *Jess- said...

Sarahhh.. You need a tagboard! Then I don't have to go through the trouble of clicking a few more buttons to communicate with you. Okay that was lazy me trying to be.. well more lazy. Anyhows, I am so freaking jealous of you. I am currently sitting in a statistics lecture and as you have probably guessed, bored and most importantly SLEEPY. Anyhows, I would be online relatively often anyway so I will catch up with you. And yes, continue blogging!

August 24, 2008 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm super happy and so excited for you. I'm longing to live like that again. ooooooh! It's such a wonderful thing. Maybe I'll raise some money and get a ticket to come over...MAN WOULD THAT BE UBER FUN!?! XD ufufufuuuu~

August 24, 2008 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Shala!!!! I guess now that there's no language pledge I can call you Sarah. I'm really glad you started a blog, and you may rest assured that I am looking forward to reading about your "Taiwanland" adventures. You've been there only a week and already went karaoke-ing...you sure move fast. Was it better than Canada? (I know sarcasm isn't visible in writing).

Today's my first day of classes and I don't start until 2:15PM, so I'm moseying around the internet. Guess what my first class is! 中文!I'm a little nervous since I don't know my new prof's teaching style, but I'm sure it's not nearly as fast-paced as Middlebury.

Can't wait for your next post.

思洁

August 25, 2008 at 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah!! So you are still alive!? I've missed hearing from you. I will soon (relatively) be headed over to Asia myself. I can't wait, but I understand your nervousness. I'll be on Kadena AFB in Okinowa, Japan in early October. I guess I'm going to have to start a blog too.

Looking forward to hearing about your asian adventures,
~Lizzy Wilkinson

August 25, 2008 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 27, 2008 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

haha! I finally got hte goddamned site to work! I totally know how you feel! When I went back to China I was like, HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS!! OMFG WTF is that??? (To the toilets) I hate those suqat toilets.

Funny story.
My 'foster grandma' lady went to China and the food didn't sit well with her, and she had diarreah. So dhe gets into the squat toilets, squats and it's like, "SPOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHH!" ANd crap goes flying everywhere. I was laughing my ass off when she told me that story.

OKK, moving away from poop. Kareoke in Asia is the BEST THING EVER!! Sometimes it's a bit scary (caus I ran into a big fat drunk guy) but most of the time, it's downright AWESOME! I was singing Superstar so loudly the sound fromt he mike had to be turned down. Who'd you go with? Do you miss me? Do you want me to mail you some shampoo? I can do that. Are you eating well? What kinds of foods have you tried? Have you tried to infiltrate the HIM building yet? When does school start??

I sound like a wife. ^_^ I'm going to save the rest of my rant for your next post.

Loving you!

~Your wife

August 27, 2008 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger 张三 said...

And let me tell you, did my Middlebury Chinese come in handy there. :)

August 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home