Umbrellas, Squat Toilets, and Other fun things

Friday, December 12, 2008

Just A Quick Hello from Your One and Only Sarah

I hope I'm your one and only Sarah, anyways. Not that you might not know other Sarahs. I'm just hoping that in your mind I'm unique. In that way, your one and only Sarah. I don't know if that really makes sense to anyone but me.

Anyways, I figured I'd drop by and give you a little update. Although, technically, I'm supposed to be working on my paper. However, I feel guilty for being so out of touch with everyone. And guilty for being too lazy to both giving you a quick note here or there.

Next week, once my papers are all in, I will officially be on break. If I would have motivated myself better earlier, I already could be on break. However, I've also been busy, spending time with people of every sort. I've also gone traveling. If you're curious, go check out my newly uploaded photos on Facebook, or ask me to send you the link.

Anyways, I have some news of sorts for you. Not really good news. Definitely not for my family anyways. Apparently, CIEE accepted seventeen new incoming students to study at NCCU. Of course, that's wonderful. Taiwan is a great place and I've been happy here. However, because of the campus situation, dorm spaces for us are limited (a small detail CIEE never mentioned to us) and we only have ten rooms in the females' dorm and ten in the males' door. Since twelve of these newcomers are female, the girls staying the year will be forced out of the dorms and required to pay rent in apartment. CIEE, of course, will help us find apartments; however, I must admit the way the program handled it is rather, for lack of a better word, crappy. As long as I'm guaranteed an immersion setting, I suppose it will be okay, but apartments are expensive and I will have a lot of extra expenses and fees. There wasn't even mention that I might have to leave the dorm under any condition. Hmm... I am not surprised. Had I had other options, I wouldn't have used CIEE to study abroad. The people that take care of us here are nice. However, much like my last study abroad program, the organization is poorly organized.

Well, enough complaining. I don't want to move out, but I can't figure out any further details until I go meet with my CIEE representatives this coming Tuesday.

Otherwise, I did accomplish the ultimate at the beginning of the week by going to Chiayi, Ali Shan, Yu Shan, and Taizhong all within 48 hours' time. Pretty incredible, huh? The mountains were gorgeous--although a wee bit too cold for my liking. I really ought to buy more winter clothing.

I had also looked forward to seeing a Singaporean friend who was coming to Taiwan this week; however, due to unfortunate circumstances, it was impossible. I hope one day to see her and hear her tinkling little voice. But trips to Singapore won't be very easy once I go back to the States. Curse plane ticket prices. Otherwise, think of all the limitless possiblities...

Anyways, I don't have much exciting to say. Just figured maybe my rambling would reassure you that I do love you. I have been busy with language exchanges and meeting all sorts of new and interesting people.

Taiwan also makes me feel young and old at the same time. Most of my peers tend to think I'm older, but I tend to be younger than most of my peers. Fascinating feeling.

Also, I do miss something about home. Being able to walk out of doors without people staring at me. Sometimes, especially when I'm already tired, I find it ridiculously exhausting. Plus you never know if they're talking to you or not. I can never understand the people who attempt to speak to me in English, and I tend to ignore people when I'm alone.

Anyways, over and out!

Love to all of you! And I will sincerely try to update more often. I don't want you thinking I've fallen off the face of the Earth or forgotten about you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home