Umbrellas, Squat Toilets, and Other fun things

Sunday, March 8, 2009

噴射彩帶

So, I learned the word for silly string in Chinese. That is one among many new words that I've learned in Chinese class. The title would be it, 噴射彩帶. Pretty awesome huh? When I first looked it up, it translated as shoot ticker tape. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that meant. So then I asked my friend from Singapore.

Anyways, my class focuses on reading newspapers, and we've read some interesting stories so far. In Iran, a woman lost her eyesight because her jealous ex couldn't take no for an answer and splashed her face with bleach. Then, there was Singapore where an American minor committed a crime and was punished with a beating. Then came something about how flammable silly string is--proven at a Chinese wedding banquet in which party poppers and silly string caused the bride and groom to catch on fire. Today's lesson talks about an embarrassed little Taiwanese teen that stole condoms and got caught for it.

See what kind of crazy level I've progressed to in Chinese? But so many people won't believe that I can read and understand so well. I suppose it's mostly because many foreigners have a hard time learning the written part. Actually, one of my language exchange partners is kind of condescending about my Chinese and really won't believe it. The thing is, he never really talks to me in Chinese. I'm thinking of cutting off the exchange because I feel like I only have 'English value' to him. I don't want to be that though; I want people to care about me for who I am. I'll share culture and language with you so long as you show genuine interest.

Now, by no means is my Chinese perfect. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Actually, I've gotten rather naughty and tell people all sorts of stories. Most strangers never find out I'm from the US. I'll insist my English sucks, or stare at them in confusion until they use Chinese with me. Except some people don't care about you the moment you say you aren't from an English speaking country and that your English sucks. Or they simply won't believe you.

I think it must be difficult being a white foreigner that can't speak a lot of English in Taiwan.

Actually, I want to know the reaction I'd get if I said I were from 莎拉國 (Sarah-terre), which is a country I've recently founded. Essentially, it's a nomadic country with a population of one. It's population is also it's president. Yep, in other words, I have my own country. Except, I am all that is Sarah-terre. It's kind of a cool idea since I don't feel like I can completely identify with any culture. I know that sounds weird, but then you think about how much I don't really represent the typical American or do things like the typical American would. Don't take this as rejection of anyone or anything. I've just been so many places and spent time with so many different types of people that I don't always feel comfortable in large groups of Americans, and I don't always agree with American attitudes and mentality. (And don't harp me on how there's not such thing as "typical". This comes from a more statistical meaning of the word. Overall, my habits won't match those of others in a group of Americans, either when interacting amongst ourselves or with people of another country. That isn't to say I don't have influence and such. But I don't feel like I can truly identify as completely American. I feel like each place I've been has left a part of itself inside my heart.) I insist on thinking about uncomfortable things. Making other people thinking about these things. Complaceny doesn't seem like the right solution.

Okay, now I'm going off on weird tagents. I ought to add, since you won't necessarily know, that I'm very happy write now. I'm smiling like a psycho as I write this. I'm honestly glad to have school now because I feel like I have a goal and meaning again. It's strange how that works. If I don't have a lot to do, I begin to get bored and too much. I need goals and occupations. I already said that though.

It's been raining a lot here lately. Hasn't really been helpful for my cough. (Yeah, I'm getting over a cold.)

And I wanted to add that my relationship with my Malaysian roommate has been getting better and better. She's so much more comfortable with me, and we'll occasionally go out and eat or something.

Love you guys. Even if you think I don't. I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home